Neighbor rescues woman from smoke-filled apartment

Courtesy: KFD

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – One person is being treated for mild smoke inhalation Wednesday night after a small duplex fire was reported in the 1800 block of Washington Avenue.

When firefighters arrived on the scene they found smoke coming from the right of a residential duplex and everyone out safely, thanks to an alert neighbor.

Chris Jones, along with family members, was next door when he smelled smoke coming from the unit beside him. While Jones’ sister called 911, he kicked in the front door, found his neighbor who uses a wheelchair and carried her to safety.

Firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire beginning to burn through the wood floor in the living room.

The woman stated to fire officials she was burning canceled checks when the fire got out of control. One person was taken to the hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation. No other injuries are reported.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s