Holidays can lead to choking hazards for children

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The holiday season means a busy time for families. Many will be shopping for gifts and decorating. However, gifts and decorations could lead to a heath hazard for children. Choking is one of the most common injuries seen in children around the time, according to East Tennessee Children’s Hospital.

Emergency Director Dr. Ryan Redman says there can be many choking hazards:

  • Christmas ornaments: Place breakable and sharp ornaments, and trimmings with removable parts out of a child’s reach
  • Wrapping paper
  • Tinsel and pine needles
  • Small toys (rubber balls, Legos, etc.): Check each toy for age suggestions

Some items can be ingested hazards:

  • Button batteries (can be inside watches, cameras, game controls, remotes): Batteries can burn the lining of the esophagus and stomach. They must be surgically removed immediately. Do not wait for them to pass.
  • Alcohol: Can be found in mixed drinks, perfumes, seasonal oils, and household cleaners
  • Seasonal plants (mistletoe and poinsettia): Can cause stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s