PIGEON FORGE (WATE) – The American Red Cross and other organizations in East Tennessee are helping those who were forced to evacuate after a wildfire in the Smoky Mountains. Many residents and tourists are staying in shelters across East Tennessee.
The Red Cross has opened a shelter at the LeConte Center. Evacuees are asked to register necessary information in order for loved ones to find them. The organization’s Safe and Well website can update families on their loved one, as well as, allow residents to list that they are safe. There are mental health professionals and nurses at the site.
Pet owners can take dogs to the Barker Lounge at 1301 W Main Street in Sevierville. Also, Blount County Animal Center will be accepting displaced animals. The center is located at 233 Currie Avenue in Maryville.
U.S. Cellular’s retail store at 562 Winfield Dunn Parkway is open to residents impacted by the wildfires, providing free phone calls, charging stations and internet service. They are also donating $5,000 to American Red Cross.
- LeConte Center at Pigeon Forge
- Pigeon Forge Community Center
- Liberty Baptist Church in Wears Valley
- Iglesia Cristiana La Luz De Jesus
- The First Red Bank Baptist Church in Sevierville
- River Plantation RV Resort and Anchor Down RV Resort
- Trinity Baptist Church, 1995 Hartford Rd, Cosby
- Gatlinburg Community Center
- Rocky Top Sports World
- Kodak event center
- Livestock: Douglas Lakeview Stables, 1650 Providence Rd in Sevierville. Contact Kristi at 864-671-8439. Barker Lounge (open for dogs)
Evacuees can visit area libraries for communication needs, and phone and computer use.
- King Family Library Sevierville, 408 High Street
- Seymour Branh, 137 West Macon Lane
- Kodak Branch, 319 West Dumplin Valley Road
VCA Animal Hospitals providing shelter in Tennessee and Georgia:
- VCA Appalachian Animal Hospital, 125 Mulberry Street, East Ellijay, GA 30540
- VCA Catoosa Animal Hospital, 3150 Boynton Drive, Ringgold, GA 30736, 706-937-4171
- VCA Dahlonega Animal Hospital,1284 Dawsonville Highway, Dahlonega, GA 30533, 706-864-7191
- VCA Chestatee Animal Hospital, 16 Westbrook Road, Dahlonega, GA 30533, 706-864-1005
- VCA Animal Care Center of Mt. Juliet, 2701 N. Mount Juliet Road, Mt. Juliet, TN 37122, 615-754-7387
- VCA Murphy Road Animal Hospital, 4408 Murphy Road, Nashville, TN 37209
- VCA Ragland & Riley Animal Hospital, 3207 Cookeville Hwy, Livingston, TN 38570, 931-498-3153
Animals at the SevierHumane Society were taken to the Human Society of the Tennessee Valley for safety. The organization will have an emergency shelter at 754 Old Knoxville Hwy for displaced pets.