KNOXVILLE (WATE) – A Knoxville pizza place has the lowest health inspection grade of the week.
When you go to the grocery store, packaged and perishable foods have date marks on them. These “use by” dates are put on foods, so they may be safely used before they spoil and so no one gets sick.
The “best before” date marks are also followed at restaurants and checked by inspectors, but one place had an issue with the rule.
Pizza Hut, 212 Cedar Lane – Grade: 82 New Grade: 99
The Pizza Hut on Cedar Lane in North Knoxville scored an 82. That’s a passing grade, but the inspector had to return to check the critical violations.
The inspector writes, some food with expired date marks on them had not been properly discarded by the date indicated on the label. The general rule is seven days, including the day of preparation. The food was thrown away.
The inspector also found some cooking utensils stored on the floor. You probably don’t do that at home in your kitchen and definitely, don’t leave utensils on the dirty floor in restaurants.
Apparently, there was some construction going on at this Pizza Hut because the inspector writes he found construction debris on the dishwasher racks and a chemical bottle had been left near food. To prevent surprises, chemicals are supposed to be stored away from food once they’re used.
The Pizza Hut on Cedar Lane was re-inspected and their new scores is a 99.
There are nearly a dozen restaurants that scored perfect grades this week.
Top Scores of the Week
- Copper Cellar & Cappuccino’s, 7316 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Longhorn Steakhouse, 7740 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Nama Downtown Sushi Bar, 506 Gay Street – Grade: 100
- The Plaid Apron, 1210 Kenesaw Avenue – Grade: 100
- Taco Bell, West Town Mall – Grade: 100
- McAlister’s, 232 Morrell Road – Grade: 100
- Firehouse Subs, 4916 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Petro’s, 7005 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Trio Cafe, 13 Market Square – Grade: 100
- Pizza Hut, 7504 Clinton Highway – Grade: 100
- Pizza Hoss, 7215 Clinton Highway – Grade: 100
- The Front Porch, 1509 Emory Roade – Grade: 99
Some real busy restaurants with perfect grades this week, management and staff really know what they’re doing.