Sting to reopen Bataclan hall 1 year after Paris attacks

In this March 5, 2016 file photo, musician Sting performs during a concert at the Java Jazz Festival in Jakarta, Indonesia. A concert by British pop legend Sting is marking the reopening of the Paris’ Bataclan concert hall one year after suicidal jihadis turned it into a bloodbath and killed 90 revelers with automatic weapons and explosive belts. (AP Photo/Tatan Syuflana, File)
In this March 5, 2016 file photo, musician Sting performs during a concert at the Java Jazz Festival in Jakarta, Indonesia. A concert by British pop legend Sting is marking the reopening of the Paris’ Bataclan concert hall one year after suicidal jihadis turned it into a bloodbath and killed 90 revelers with automatic weapons and explosive belts. (AP Photo/Tatan Syuflana, File)

PARIS (AP) — A concert by British pop legend Sting is marking the reopening of the Paris’ Bataclan concert hall one year after suicidal jihadis turned it into a bloodbath and killed 90 revelers with automatic weapons and explosive belts.

The coordinated attacks in Paris on Nov. 13 last year left 130 people dead and hundreds more injured and were the worst extremist attacks ever to hit France.

The Bataclan said all 1,000 Sting concert tickets sold out in “less than 30 minutes” and survivors and their families have also been invited to the Saturday night concert.

Sting, 65, is no stranger to the Paris venue. He played there decades ago in 1979 as lead singer of The Police. The singer’s new album “57th & 9th” was released Friday.

Sting said the concert proceeds would go to two charities helping survivors. More than 1,700 people have been officially recognized as victims of the horror that unfolded at the Bataclan, Paris cafes and France’s national stadium.

The concert hall — which has been refurbished to its original state — will remain closed on Sunday’s actual anniversary of the attacks, when authorities plan to unveil a plaque outside to commemorate the victims.

In addition to those who died, nine people remain hospitalized from the attacks and others are paralyzed or otherwise irreparably injured. The government says more than 600 people are still receiving psychological treatment related to the attacks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s