KNOXVILLE (WATE) – A favorite Old City Pizzeria and a popular breakfast restaurant have the lowest health inspection grades this week.
Barley’s, 200 Jackson Avenue – Grade: 74
The popular nightspot scored one of the lowest health inspector grades in months.
While a 74 is still a passing score, the inspector will return to make sure the critical violations were corrected. Re-inspections usually happen within two weeks.
At Barley’s food temperatures were off. Cooked hamburgers were 50 degrees. Also, cooked chicken and rice were 46 degrees. They should have been at 41 degrees and below to prevent anyone from getting sick.
The inspector also writes, the drink dispenser was filthy, and he found clean utensils stored in dirty containers. Also, when the inspector asked employees about basic health policies, they weren’t aware of them, but they’re supposed to be. That is management’s responsibility.
Finally, when he checked wiping towels, clothes that servers use to clean your table, the towels weren’t being stored in a container of sanitizer, but they’re supposed to be.
IHOP, 5604 Merchants Center Boulevard – Grade: 82
The next lowest grade is an 82 at the IHOP on Merchants Center Boulevard in North Knoxville. It’s located just off Interstate 75.
Here too the inspector found wiping clothes that were not stored in sanitizer buckets. Food debris was found on food preparation tables. found some food in the fridge that was out of date. The “best serve” date had expired and the food hadn’t been thrown away. There’s good news, half a dozen restaurants scored perfect grades and many others were close behind. The Soup Kitchen Express, at 92-22 Kingston Pike, 100.
The inspector also found some food in the fridge that was out of date. The “best serve” date was expired and the food had not been thrown away.
There’s good news, half a dozen restaurants scored perfect grades and many others were close behind.
Top Scores of the Week
- Soup Kitchen Express, 9222 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Full Service BBQ, 104 Cedar Lane – Grade: 100
- Inskip Grill, 101 E. Inskip Drive – Grade: 100
- Nixon’s Deli, 7419 Middlebrook Pike – Grade: 100
- Scotties of Powell, 7143 Clinton Highway – Grade: 100
- Burger King, 127 Northshore Drive – Grade: 100
- Ichiban Japanese Grill, 6737 Clinton Highway – Grade: 99
- Cracker Barrel, 2920 Mall Road – Grade: 99
- Salsarita’s Fresh Cantina, 6645 Clinton Highway – Grade: 99
- Chick-Fil-A, West Town Mall – Grade: 99
- Cici’s Pizza, 8414 Kingston Pike – Grade: 99
- Gru Jo’s German Restaurant, 1420 East Emory Road – Grade: 99
If you notice a health rule violation, politely mention it to the restaurant manager. Don Dare, covering Food for Thought.>