KNOXVILLE (WATE) – A take-out fast food restaurant and a Mexican style restaurant received the lowest health inspection grades this week. A number of risk factors were found at both of the low scoring eateries, they’re critical violations that could potentially make customers ill if not corrected.
Sonic, 2742 Schaad Road – Grade: 78
While a 78 is a passing grade, a follow-up inspection will be required at the Sonic on Schaad Road in Powell.
The inspector writes that lemons and limes were past their date of “best use,” yet they were still being given to customers. Also, when a sanitizer bottle was checked, it was empty. It was supposed to be used to clean and sanitize food surfaces.
When the inspector asked the manager about health policies, she writes the person in charge didn’t know about the rules. Well, she handed them to him.
There were several hand sinks, but only one sink had paper towels on which employees could dry their hands.
Don Gallo, 980 Emory Road – Grade: 82
The next lowest grade is an 82 at Don Gallo Mexican in Powell. Again that’s a passing grade.
At this Don Gallo, the inspector found the “date markings” on salsa that were out of date. She also watched a kitchen worker with his bare hands handle chips that were in a container. The worker should have been wearing gloves.
Some food temperatures were off. Guacamole was at 49 degrees and tomatoes at 46 degrees, but 41 and below is the safe temperature to slow bacteria growth.
The top scoring restaurants this week all have perfect grades.
Top Scores of the Week
- Kabuki Fusion Grill, 10901 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Mikata Japanesse Grill, 10918 Spring Bluff Way – Grade: 100
- Anaba Japaneses Cuisine – 9405 Northshore Drive – Grade: 100
- Taco Bell, 11217 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Five Guys, 7531 Barnett Way – Grade: 100
- Five Guys, 2032 Town Center Boulevard – Grade: 100
- Fulin’s Asian Cuisine, 120 Merchant Drive – Grade: 100
- New Full House, 3508 W. Emory Road – Grade: 100
- Sonic, 10704 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Wendy’s, 426 E. Emory Road – Grade: 100
- Panera Bread, 4855 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Burger King, 127 N. Northshore Drive – Grade: 100
Health inspection reports are supposed to be posted in restaurants where you can see them and read them.