KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Thirty-seven cats died in a house fire overnight in Knoxville.
Crews responded to the fire at 4632 Ball Camp Pike around midnight. Two residents escaped the home. Three cats were outside and were given oxygen due to smoke inhalation.
One of the residents told WATE 6 On Your Side that he was watching TV when he heard popping sounds. He saw smoke coming from a door. He helped as many cats as he could escape the home.
Firefighters searched for the rest of the cats, but were not able to rescue any.
Investigators believe the fire started in a back bedroom.
The three cats that received oxygen are uninjured and the American Red Cross is helping the family.
There is no information on the cause of the fire.