KNOXVILLE (WATE) – This week there were so many perfect scores you almost need your fingers and toes to count them. However, one restaurant received a passing grade, but had several critical violations.
The restaurant had trouble with a number of violations that the health department refer to as “risk factors.” They’re issues that if not corrected could potentially lead to outbreaks of foodborne illness.
Brown Bag, 10649 Hardin Valley Road – Grade: 77
The health inspector noted that an employee failed to wash their hands between touching dirty and clean utensils. Also, a food chopper that was “cleaned” was dirty and flies were noticed in the kitchen.
Toxic chemicals were found stored with food gloves. That doesn’t sound like a big deal, but cleaners are supposed to be kept in a separate area so there are no surprises.
The Alley Bar and Grill, 7355 Kingston Pike – Grade: 79
Food temperatures were off at the Alley Bar and Grill. The restaurant received a passing grade, but the inspector noticed build-up on the sushi making equipment. Also, the hot bar items weren’t properly re-heated. The inspector noted the water needs to be at 165 degrees, but the water was at 155 degrees.
No date marking were found on a couple of their items that were cooked and cooled, including sushi, cooked ribs and salad dressing. The inspector also observed an overall lack of knowledge of cooling, reheating, date marking and sushi preparations. They recommended more training and education for kitchen staff.
Web Extra: This week’s full inspection reports [PDF]
There were a total of 19 restaurants that scored 100s on their health inspection grades this week.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Lulu’s Tea Room, 3703 West Beaver Creek Road – Grade: 100
- KJ Cookies, 1738 W. Emory Road – Grade: 100
- Firehouse Subs, 10728 Hardin Valley Road – Grade: 100
- King’s Castle, 6140 Western Avenue – Grade: 100
- French Market II, 161 Brooklawn Street – Grade: 100
- Gavino’s, 5211 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Java Spice, 9352 Parkwest Boulevard – Grade: 100
- Sullivan’s Fine Foods, 7545 Northshore Drive – Grade: 100
- Dead End BBQ, 3621 Sutherland Avenue – Grade: 100
- Laflor Mexican Bakery, 4809 Newcomb Avenue – Grade: 100
- I Love Juice Bar, 4801 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Bearden Hill Fieldhouse, 6600 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Bearden Beer Market, 4524 Old Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Backdoor Tavern, 4951 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Big Kahuna Wings, 12828 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Litton’s Market and Restaurant, 3803 Essary Road – Grade: 100
- Litton’s Bakery, 2803 Essary Road – Grade: 100
- Kasumi and Thai Cafe, 204556 Campbell Station Road – Grade: 100
- Panera Bread, 11361 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100