ORLANDO, FL (WJHL)- A 14-year-old from Elizabethton, Tennessee was hospitalized over the weekend after police said an e-cigarette exploded inside a ride at a theme park in Orlando.
Orlando police said Carolina Saylor and her four family members were on the Harry Potter Train ride at Universal Studios. Three other teenagers were on the ride with the family when an e-cigarette device exploded inside one of the teenagers pockets.
“The guy who was sitting right next to me, something blew up in his pocket and it went on me. I just saw like a bunch of fire and smoke go in my face and then I tried to get it off of me and it went on the floor and I jumped up on the seat,” Caroline Saylor said.
Caroline’s mother Melissa Saylor describes the scary situation.
“Initially we thought it was part of the ride, it almost sounded like a firework, and it just kind of exploded everyone started jumping everywhere. Everybody was banging on the door trying to get out because at the time we didn’t know what it was it was still on fire,” Melissa said.
Caroline had injuries to both of her arms and legs, her neck and even her face. She also sustained first and second degree burns but is still in good spirits.
“We went back today and it was good I’d go back again. I’m fine, they’re going to take some time to heal,” Caroline said.
The Saylor family said they are pleased with how the theme park handled the incident.
Police said the three teenagers then fled the park and the incident appears to be accidental.