KNOXVILLE (WATE) – One new practice restaurants are required to follow is that managers and staff are supposed to understand employee health policies.
They’re not quizzed on the state mandated rules. They are simply asked whether they’ve reviewed and discussed them. That was a problem we see this week at Hurricane Grill and Wings.
Hurricane Grill & Wings, 319 Lovell Road – Grade: 80
While the restaurant received a passing grade, there were violations that will require a follow-up inspection.
At Hurricane Grill and Wings, the inspector writes no employee was aware of the health policies they’re supposed to follow. Since knowing these regulations is imperative, the inspector says he went over them with management and staff.
When he checked the hot water in one of the hand sinks, it wasn’t working. Hot water is required to properly wash hands. Also, there was no working hand towel dispenser in the kitchen.
When he check the onion chopper it was dirty and knives that had been put away as being clean, were dirty.
Senor Taco, 3325 Broadway – Grade: 80
Again 80 is passing, but there are the critical violations that will need to be checked again in a few weeks.
Here the inspector found no date markings on tamales, so they could not tell if the food was out of date. Just like date markings you see on food at the grocery store, at restaurants you have to be able to see the date.
The inspector writes he found a drink cup lying on sugar and some unknown debris has spilled on the sugar. Also, unprotected lettuce was found on a dirty shelf and he found a dirty can opener with black buildup on it
Web Extra: This week’s full inspection reports [PDF]
There were no violations at any of the top scoring restaurants of the week.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Newks Express Cafe, 11522 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Moe’s Southwest Grill, 11322 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Jacob’s Time Out Deli, 5307 Middlebrook Pike – Grade: 100
- Lunchbox, 607 Market Street – Grade: 100
- Taco Bell, 611 E. Emory Road – Grade: 100
- Life House Coffee, 7545 Brickyard Road – Grade: 100
- Chen Garden, 7658 Oak Ridge Highway – Grade: 100
- Salsarita’s, 100 Jack Dance Drive – Grade: 100
- The Bojangles, 9101 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Phillipine Egg Roll Express – Grade: 100
- Good Golly Tamale, 112 S. Central – Grade: 100
- The Empty Cup, 9111 Executive Park Drive – Grade: 100
A dozen restaurants with perfect grades there are quite a few managers and staff who know the health rules.