KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Tennessee wants to continue their winning streak as they host Ohio.
The 15th-ranked Volunteers (2-0) will seek their ninth consecutive victory over the last two seasons Saturday when they host Ohio (1-1). This marks Tennessee’s longest winning streak since a 14-game run from 1998-99.
The visit from Ohio will be Tennessee’s last game before opening Southeastern Conference play next week against No. 23 Florida, which has beaten the Vols each of the last 11 seasons .
Tennessee insists it isn’t worrying about Florida just yet. The Vols are too concerned with trying to slow down an Ohio offense averaging 45 ½ points and 563 yards per game.
Download the WATE 6 On Your Side news app and sign up for push alerts for score updates and the latest from the game. Also follow WATE 6 On Your Side Sports Director Marshall Hughes on Twitter (@MarshallHughes) live tweets from the game. WATE 6 On Your Side will also live stream the post-game press conference with University of Tennessee Head Coach Butch Jones. Just check WATE.com about 5-15 minutes after the game.
Attendees must follow the stadium’s new bag policy. Small clutches will be allowed, as well as clear, gallon-sized, re-sealable plastic bags, and clear totes, which can be found at Volshops.
Kick-off is at noon at Neyland Stadium. It will be broadcast on the SEC Network.
- Vol Walk: 9:45 a.m.
- Vol Village: 8:30 a.m.
- Gates open: 10:00 a.m.
- Band March: 10:20 a.m.
- Kick-off: 12:00 p.m.
The WATE 6 Storm Team says right now it looks dry for the Vols game at noon Saturday. A cold front increases our rain chances by late Saturday into Sunday with a few storms then as well.
Game day traffic
Whether you are a Knoxvillian rooting for the big orange or trapped in the traffic patterns caused by big orange fans, you can’t avoid the University of Tennessee and its events.
Remember, only one lane will be open on Cumberland Avenue in both directions. No left turns on the roadway will be allowed.
- Coming from the west: One option is to take Interstate 40/75 to southbound Alcoa Highway, then exit onto Neyland Drive. Once on Neyland Drive, motorists can access campus via Joe Johnson Drive. A second option is to take eastbound Kingston Pike to Neyland Drive.
- Coming from the south: Take Chapman Highway and cross the Tennessee River into downtown using either the Henley Bridge or the Gay Street Bridge. Fans can also drive northbound Alcoa Highway to Neyland Drive, and either access campus via Joe Johnson Drive or access City parking garages by continuing on Neyland into downtown.
- Coming from north of Cumberland Avenue: Take southbound Broadway until it turns into Henley Street downtown; then turn right onto Western Avenue (to 11th Street) or onto Clinch Avenue to access Fort Sanders, or turn left onto Summit Hill Drive or Church Street to access the downtown garages.
- If driving from I-40: Take southbound 17th Street to access side streets into Fort Sanders.
- Coming from the east: Get off I-40 at James White Parkway to access downtown and parking.
- To access destinations on the north side of Cumberland Avenue: Take southbound 17th Street to Cumberland Avenue; turn right onto Cumberland, then access businesses by turning right into their parking areas.
- To access destinations on the south side of Cumberland: Take Neyland Drive to Joe Johnson Drive; turn left onto West Volunteer Boulevard; turn right onto Cumberland. Or: Take Alcoa Highway and the Kingston Pike exit; turn onto Cumberland; turn right into the business.
The City of Knoxville is recommends using city garages downtown for parking.
- Market Square Garage: Normal daytime rates. It will be free after 6 p.m. There will be free game-day parking once enough parking spots are set aside for monthly parking passes.
- State Street Garage: Normal daytime rates. It will be free after 6 p.m.
- Promenade Garage: No game-day parking
- Main Street Garage: Game-day parking will begin at 3 p.m. and costs $20.
- Locust Street Garage: Game day parking will begin at 3 p.m. and costs $20.
- City County Building Garage: Game day parking will begin at 3 p.m. and costs $20.
- Dwight Kessel Garage: Game day parking will begin at 3 p.m. at $20.
- Civic Coliseum Garage: RVs will be allowed for $35 for spots without utility hookups. There will be game day parking for $10 for other vehicles.
- West Jackson Avenue lot: The lot is located west of Gay Street in Old City. It will have normal daytime rates and will be free after 6 p.m.
- State Supreme Court: Game day parking will begin at noon.
- Poplar Street lot: Game day parking begins at noon and will be $30.
- Blackstock Avenue lot: RVs will be allowed for $25. Game day parking begins at 3 p.m. The cost is $10 for other vehicles.
Other ways to get to the game
If you do not want to deal with parking on game days, another option is Uber, but Uber drivers say you still need to plan ahead to make sure you get a ride and get there on time. The average ride from West Knoxville to downtown will cost about $2, but on game days expect surge pricing.
Another option is JoyRide. It is a golf cart ride service, but they only offer rides within a couple miles of campus. Remember all ride sharing businesses will be busy and dealing with traffic so be patient.
KAT bus provides shuttles to all UT home football games. Shuttles run continuously beginning three hours before kickoff. Shuttles start running against after the 4th quarter and run continuously for approximately 60 minutes after the game.
- The Knoxville Civic Coliseum (Route 51A): The cost is $6 per person with an additional charge for parking. After the game, buses depart from Walters Life Sciences.
- Farragut High School Parking Lot (Route 51C): The cost is $15 round trip per person with no charge for parking. Shuttles leave approximately every 20 minutes. The final trip departs from high school one hour before kick-off. Tickets are available at Farragut High School beginning three hours before kick-off. Going to the game the shuttle drops off at Peyton Manning Pass and Circle Park and after the game the shuttle picks up passengers from Volunteer Boulevard near McClung Tower.
- The Old City (Route 51D): The cost is $6 per person. Shuttles depart from 200 #. Jackson Avenue, in front of Barley’s Taproom. After the game, catch buses at the Walters Life Sciences.
- Market Square/Krutch Park (Route 51E): The cost is $6 per person. Shuttles depart from Krutch Park at Clinch. Catch the trolleys at Walters Life Sciences after the game.
For more information visit the city of Knoxville’s website.