KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Around 35 million people will travel during Labor Day weekend, according to the American Automobile Association. Young-Williams Animal Center says it is important to remember your pets.
The center has a variety of tips for pet-owners to keep their pets safe and comfortable during the holiday weekend.
- Call ahead to make sure your hotel allows pets and if so, what additional fees are charged.
- Keep your pet safe in a well ventilated crate or carrier.
- Prepare your pet for a long car ride by taking short rides several days before the trip.
- Be sure to take appropriate breaks to allow your pet to stretch his legs.
- Make sure your pet can be identified and returned to you if lost.
- Never leave your pet in an unoccupied car. Temperatures inside a car can be several degrees warmer or colder than the outside.
- Make your pet comfortable on the trip by bringing along his favorite toy or blanket.
- Don’t forget to pack plenty of food and bottled water for your pet as well as any medications.
- Make sure to research your vacation destination to identify a veterinarian or animal clinic in case of emergency.
- Know the rules and requirements for pets not only at your hotel, but other attractions you may visit while on vacation.
Also, Mabre is available for adoption. She is a 4-year-old Australian Shepherd/Mix. She is looking a forever home.