KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The Friday Night Hits Tailgate will kick off the season August 19 at Anderson County High School as the Mavericks get set to host the Greene Devils.
“We need improvement on a bunch of stuff like communication. That’s one big reason why we went 3-7 last year, lack of communication.” said Thyshad Thrasher, Anderson County senior wide receiver/defensive back.
Anderson County is looking to bounce back from a 3-7 season while Greeneville reached the second round of playoffs with an 11-2 record. It was the first time in the last eight seasons that Anderson County missed out on the postseason.
“They know the expectation at Anderson County is to get into the playoffs and they were disappointed last season when we didn’t get in there,” Gary Terry, Anderson County Assistant Head Coach. “We were a game out and didn’t get in and we feel this year that we have an opportunity to get back in there and they’ve worked real hard all winter and I think we’re going to see the results of it here soon.”
Each week the WATE 6 On Your Side Sports Team will feature a different high school during their tailgate starting at WATE 6 On Your Side News at 5:00 p.m. Fans are encouraged to come out and how their school spirit. Watch highlights Fridays at 11:14 p.m.
Week 1 Schedule
Records are in parenthesis followed by how many play-off rounds each team has reached.
- Oak Ridge (10-2, 2x) at Clinton (4-7, 1x)
- Campbell County (5-6, 1x) at Gibbs (5-6, 1x)
- Halls (7-5, 2x) at Carter (4-7, 1x)
- Scott (5-6, 1x) at Austin East (9-3, 2x)
- Hardin Valley (5-6) at West (9-3, 2x)
- Powell (2-9) at Farragut (10-2, 2x)
- Earns (3-7) at Bearden (6-5, 1x)
- Kingston (8-3, 1x) at Harriman (9-4, 3x)
- Oneida (8-4, 2x) at Oakdale (7-4, 1x)
- Maryville (14-1, lost state) at Heritage (3-8, 1x)
- Lenoir City (2-9) at William Blount (2-9, 1x)
- Jefferson County (5-6, 1x) at Grace (7-6, 3x)
- Alcoa (14-1, won state) at Webb (5-5, 1x)
- King’s Academy (5-6, 1x) at Seymour (7-4, 1x)
- Central (9-3, 2x) at South Doyle (0-10)
- Pigeon Forge (9-3, 2x) at Gatlinburg-Pittman (6-5, 1x)
- Union County (0-10) at Grainger (5-5)
- CAK (11-2, 3x) at Livingston (7-5, 2x)
- Fulton (10-2, 2x) at Morristown East (3-8, 1x)
- Catholic (11-4, won state) at Morristown West (10-3, 3x)