TBI: Kentucky man shot by Oneida officer following fight

Shannon Oregan (Facebook)

ONEIDA (WATE) – The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is investigating an officer involved shooting in Oneida.

TBI says Shannon M. O’Regan, 30, of Pine Knot, Kentucky is in stable condition. Agents said preliminary information indicates that O’Regan was shot following an altercation with officers.

At 2:40 p.m. Sunday, Oneida Police Department officers responded to reports of a domestic related incident in the Walmart Parking lot, located at 19840 Alberta Street at in Oneida, according to TBI. They said O’Regan was shot by at least one officer.

“We heard this man behind us yelling at his wife. He just got more aggravated and aggressive,” says bystander Hannah Griffith.

Soon after Griffith says the man drew out a gun and pointed it at the woman. Griffith says she heard the officer tell the man multiple times to put down the weapon before shooting.

O’Regan was taken to the University of Tennessee Medical Center for treatment. Oneida Chief of Police said the officer will most likely be put on administrative leave for the next few days.

At the request of the 8th District Attorney General Jared Effler, TBI special agents said they are investigating the shooting. Once the investigation is complete, findings will be handed over to the District Attorney General.

WATE 6 On Your Side checked with TBI to see if O’Regan had a criminal history in Tennessee. In July he was charged with speeding and driving with a suspended license in Campbell County.

O’Regan’s family searches for answers

There’s a mix of confusion and anger at O’Regan’s family’s Pine Knot, Kentucky Home. The family saying O’Regan is a hard working father of two.

“He wouldn’t hurt nobody on purpose for nothing in the world. So, I don’t know how it escalated to what it has. I don’t know if one is wrong, the other is right. I don’t know which one done wrong,” said O’Regan’s cousin, Darren Kidd.

The O’Regan family was at the Oneida Walmart buying a birthday cake on Sunday for their daughter, according to Kidd. He said they were arguing but that’s all he knows.

Kidd said his family has been waiting for a phone call with information about what happened, but since Sunday they’ve heard very little. He said he’s glad O’Regan is alive, but he’s hoping hours don’t turn into day before his family gets answers about what happened.

“There ain’t going to be no relief until we can see him, talk to him, know for sure with our own eyes that he’s good. But that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen,” added Kidd.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s