KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Two restaurants received similar violations: food left unprotected and improper employee hygiene, among other risk factors that could potentially lead to food borne illnesses.
KFC, 7228 Maynardville Highway – Grade: 83
In first place is KFC on Maynardville Highway in Halls. KFC received an 83. Below 70 is considered unsanitary by the health department.
The inspector writes there were drippings and splattering on an open box of chicken exposing the food to potential contamination. The chicken was thrown away.
Also, slaw was left unprotected in the walk-in cooler. It should have been covered.
A kitchen worker was seen not washing his hands as required before preparing food. A can opener should have been clean, but was dirty and had food debris on it.
At this KFC, single service items were found on the floor in dry storage. They should have been at least six inches off the floor.
Krystal, 5100 Chapman Highway – Grade: 83
In South Knoxville, the Krystal scored an 83. There were several critical violations that will require a follow up.
When she checked the kitchen, the inspector writes “excessive flies” were buzzing around. The inspector also says in her report that blender rods that are used to prepare mix were not being cleaned, washed and sanitized properly.
There were also no towels at a hand sink in the kitchen, so employees could not properly wash and dry their hands.
Web Extra: This week’s full inspection reports [PDF]
More than half a dozen local restaurants received perfect health inspection reports this week and others were close behind.
here are the top grades.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Abuelo’s Mexican Restaurant, 11299 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Pei Wei, 11301 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Red Robin, 11433 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Pot Belly, 11661 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Panda Express, 11480 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit, 11483 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Jet’s Pizza, 11124 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Mind Yer P’s & Q’s, 12244 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Chintzy Rose Tea Room, 6600 Maynardville Highway – Grade: 100
- Pizza Plus, 210 Andrew Johnson Highway – Grade: 100
- Wright’s Cafeteria, 5403 Middlebrook Pike – Grade: 99
- Longhorn Steakhouse, 11644 Parkside Drive = Grade:99
Those high scores are a reflection of management and staff knowing and following the health rules.
don dare, covering food for thought.