BYBEE (WATE) – A Cocke County mother was arrested after a child was treated for cigarette burns.
Investigators believe Shannon Shelton intentionally burned a 3-year-old with a cigarette on or before June 18. The child suffered second degree burns on the chest, however, he was not taken to the hospital by his mother Heather Lee Stokely, 25.
The child received treatment on June 20 at Tennova Hospital. Hospital staff suspected child abuse and contacted law enforcement.
Stokely faces child abuse and neglect charges for not seeking proper medical treatment for the child. She is being held at the Cocke County Detention Center without bond. Shelton was also arrested.