Firefighters: Cigarette in mulch caused Kentucky restaurant blaze

ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. (AP) — Firefighters say an ignited cigarette thrown into a bed of dry mulch is believed to have started a fire that destroyed a McDonald’s restaurant in Elizabethtown.

Elizabethtown deputy fire chief Everett Roberts tells The News Enterprise that by the time firefighters arrived Thursday, the fire had spread from outdoor landscaping to the building and into the attic. No one was injured.

Roberts says firefighters also responded earlier in the day to a similar call where someone threw a cigarette into mulch at an assisted living center that ignited another fire.

Roberts cautions residents and businesses from putting mulch alongside walls of buildings that he says creates “a potentially dangerous situation.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s