KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Some Knoxville residents will be taking a different form of transportation to work Friday morning…their bikes. National Bike to Work Day was originally set for May 20, however, on that day it was raining in the area.
There will be baked goods and coffee from Wild Love Bakehouse and Trio Cafe for bikers at Market Square. The event is from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
Also, there will be an opportunity for bike riders to win prizes. Bikers must log their ride. The person with the longest commute will win. There will be a prize given to the person with the most likes/shares/comments on a post on Facebook or Twitter. Bikers must use the hashtag “#ibikeknx.” Facebook posts should be posted on the Bike Knx Facebook page.
Bikers can join others at many locations throughout Knoxville on their way to work. Here are the routes:
- 6:30 a.m.: Riders going between Halls, downtown and UT can meet at the Halls Center at 6950 Maynardville Pike near Ace Hardware.
- 7 a.m.: Riders in North Knoxville heading downtown or UT can meet at the Office Depot and Food City parking lot at 4212 N Broadway.
- 7 a.m.: East Knoxville bikers going downtown or UT can meet at Holston River Park at 3300 Holston Hills Road near the top parking lot by the pavilion.
- 7:15 a.m.: Bikers starting in Bearden going downtown or UT can meet at Third Creek Greenway trail-head at 130 Forest Park Blvd.
- 7:15 a.m.: South Knoxville bike riders going downtown or UT can meet at 3701 Sevierville Pike (southeast corner near Lancaster).