Administrators meet with parents after asbestos found in Knox County school library

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Administrators from South Doyle High held a meeting on Monday to address questions and concerns from parents after asbestos was found in the school library.

Right now, school system officials said the asbestos is in the space between the library ceiling and the roof. They’ve taken air samples and haven’t found any trace of it inside the library, but as a precaution, the library has been closed for the rest of the school year.

Previous story: South-Doyle High School library closed for asbestos removal

The school’s principal, Sherry Smith, announced last Thursday that the library would be closed. Work to remove the asbestos will start after school ends in May. Right now, staff members and resources from the library have been moved to other parts of the school to be extra cautious.

The school’s principal along with Superintendent Dr. Jim McIntyre took questions about the issue. According to the CDC, asbestos can cause life threatening diseases like lung cancer or mesothelioma, which is why one mother said she’s worried about it.

“I think I’m very concerned about the asbestos that they found, if there’s more in the school, but I think they did a very good job tonight of discussing exactly what the problem is, how they’re going to handle it, what their plan of action is,” Mary Lu Shipstad, a parent said.

Along with getting rid of the asbestos, the school’s library will be getting renovated too. It’ll include new lighting, paint and carpeting.

School system administrators estimate the project to cost $250,000. For now, they’ll continue to test the air in the library and the rest of the school to make sure the asbestos doesn’t spread.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s