Cigarettes spark Knoxville fatal fire

1 dead, 2 sent to hospital after North Knoxville fire

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Knoxville Fire Department said a fire that left one person dead and two overcome by smoke inhalation was caused by the careless use of cigarettes.

Charles Bishop, 82, died in the front bedroom, where Knoxville Fire Department Captain D.J. Corcoran said the fire started. Dorris Bishop, 72, was found overcome by smoke just inside the door and Aneida Bishop, 51, was found in the back bedroom when firefighters arrived. Corcoran said both women were treated at the scene by firefighters and paramedics and then transported to University of Tennessee Hospital for smoke inhalation.

The fire started Sunday evening at Williamsburg Village Apartments on 5005 Inskip Road. The apartments contain four units, but firefighters said they believed only the two ground-floor units were occupied.

Captain Corcoran said firefighters had a similar call to the same address last week. He said the captain documented careless conditions and forwarded information to a public education officer so he could do a welfare fire education intervention to make the residents aware of fire damages.

The son of Charles Bishop was also inside the apartment when the fire started. He was able to escape the fire uninjured, but Corcoran said he had voiced his concerns about his mother’s smoking habits. Concoran said a welfare check was scheduled this week for the family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s