KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The Red Cross is providing temporary shelter for the people displaced after an apartment building catches fire in West Knoxville.
Firefighters received the call of an apartment fire around 11:22 Friday night at the Westwood Apartments located in the 3100 block of Lake Brook Boulevard, which is off Middlebrook Pike.
Once firefighters arrived, they found the flames shooting through the roof of the third floor apartment at the end of building five, which houses 12 apartments.
Tenants were quickly evacuated while additional firefighters began spraying, and extinguishing the flames, and power to the entire building was shut off for safety reasons.
The main damage was contained to the third floor apartment, and some water damage was found in the two apartments below.
Arson investigators have determined the fire was accidental, and started near, or around, electrical wiring that ran through a shared chimney chase for three of the apartments.
No injuries were reported.
The apartment management told firefighters they will also find temporary homes for some of the victims displaced.