KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Say good bye to the stresses of 2015 and say hello to a great 2016. Tennessee State Parks will sponsor free, guided hikes at all 56 parks beginning on Thursday, and going throughout the day on January 1.
“Our First Hikes have been very popular and we are excited to continue them as part of our series of statewide hikes,” said Deputy Commissioner for Parks and Conservation Brock Hill. “These hikes are a great way to kick off the New Year with friends and family while also enjoying our beautiful parks.”
More: New Year’s events
Tennessee State Parks’ First Hikes of 2016 are part of America’s State Parks First Day hikes initiative in all 50 states. While some of the hikes will be throughout New Year’s Day at various times, others will begin on December 31 and go in to the New Year.
Some hikes will be approximately one mile in length and tailored for novice hikers, while others are lengthier and geared toward more experienced hikers.
East Tennessee hikes
- Big Duck Small Pond, Big Ridge State Park – Jan 1 at 1:00 p.m.
- New Year Walk, Booker T. Washington State Park – Jan 1 at 9:00 a.m.
- Black Mountain Hike, Cumberland Trail State Scenic Trail State Park -Jan 1 at 12:00 p.m.
- Pioneer Winter Walk, Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park – Jan 1 at 11:00 a.m.
- Fort Tour, Fort Loudoun State Historic Park – Jan 1 at 2:00 p.m.
- Old Mac Trek, Frozen Head State Park – Jan 1 at 10:00 a.m.
- Hike to the New Year, Harrison Bay State Park – Dec 31 at 11:30 p.m.
- Starr Mountain Trek, Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park – Jan 1 at 4:00 p.m.
- Two Nature Walks, Indian Mountain State Park – Jan 1 at 1:00 p.m.
- Scenic Hike, Panther Creek State Park – Jan 1 at 10:00 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve, Pickett State Park – Dec 31 at 8:00 p.m.
- Park Tour, Red Clay State Historic Park – Jan 1 at 9:00 a.m.
- Midnight on the Mountain, Roan Mountain State Park – Dec 31 at 11:00 p.m.
- Hidden Lake Hike, Rocky Fork State Park – Jan 1 at 10:30 a.m.
- The Right Foot, Seven Islands State Birding Park – Jan 1 at 10:00 a.m.
- Carter Mansion Tour, Sycamore Shoals State Historic Park – Jan 1 at 11:00 a.m.
- Sinking Waters Cleanup, Warriors’ Path State Park – Jan 1 at 9:30 a.m.
For more information, visit Tennessee State Park’s website.