KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Not only were roaches found crawling around in the kitchen at our lowest scoring restaurant this week, but some human hair was also found in rice.
Stir Fry Cafe, 7240 Kingston Pike – Grade: 85
While 85 is a passing score, there were a number of critical violations recorded by the inspector at Stir Fry Cafe.
The inspector found a roach in the kitchen where dishes are stored and the hair was found in some sushi rice. He ordered stir fry to call their pest control company to eliminate any other roaches that were not found.
At Stir Fry the inspector found the pH level of Sushi rice was off. All food can be categorized as either acid or alkaline based on a ph scale that ranges from zero to 14. A pH zero is most acidic, while a pH of 14 is the most alkaline.
At Stir Fry when the inspector checked Sushi rice, the pH level was 4.9, but a level of 4.6 is the required safe level to reduce bacterial growth.
Finally, the inspector found dirty utensils that had been put away as clean. In the cooler, raw shelled eggs were stored next to produce and over cook foods.
Raw food is filled with bacteria, so it’s supposed to be stored away from food about to be served to customers so there are no accidents.
Web Extra: This week’s full inspection scores [PDF]
No problems at any of the top scoring restaurants this week. They were all perfect grades.
Top Scores of the Week:
- Cracker Barrel, 716 N Campbell Station Road – Grade: 100
- Panera Bread, 11361 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Kabuki Sushi and Grill, 10901 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Newks Express, 11527 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Trio Cafe, 13 Market Square – Grade: 100
- Mellow Mushroom, 635 Campbell Station Road – Grade: 100
- Salsarita’s, 10919 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Bombay Palace, 10901 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- McAlister’s Deli, 11140 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Brixx Wood Fired Pizza, 10928 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Gourmet’s Market, 5107 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
- Subway, 5201 Kingston Pike – Grade: 100
Management and staff at those top scoring restaurants know the health rules and followed them.