KNOXVILLE (WATE) – The fifth annual Wonder of Hummingbirds Festival will be held on Saturday, August 22, 2015.
This event is presented by the Knoxville Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society and Ijams Nature Center. Visitors will have the opportunity to see ruby-throated hummingbirds up-close at a banding demonstration by Mark Armstrong, a certified Master Bander.
There will also be hummingbird Banding from 8 a.m. to noon. Other events include native plants, arts and crafts, refreshments and guided nature walks.
The festival will also feature speakers on nature topics, wildlife educational demonstrations, guided walks and vendors selling food and drinks, plants, locally made arts and crafts, bird feeders and supplies, garden items and a “Bargain Barn” selling new and gently used merchandise with nature themes.
• David Pitts, Professor of Biology, UT Martin will talk about “The Hummingbirds that Nest in your Yard”.
• Stephen Lyn Bales, Author & Ijams’ Senior Naturalist – Secrets of Backyard Birds
• David Unger, Professor of Biology, Maryville College – Predators & Bears
• Chris Ogle, TWRA –Golden Eagles in Tennessee
• Lynne McCoy, a local wildlife rehabilitator
• Dr. Louise Conrad: Ijams’ Veterinerian animals presentations
Additional parking with shuttle to Ijams Visitor Center.