Officials: $450K+ spent on controversial anti-DUI campaign

The Tennessean reports Kendell Poole, director of the Governor's Highway Safety Office, said Wednesday that by the time the state ended the campaign in July, $456,923 had been spent. Poole says the projected budget for the campaign was over $725,000.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Officials say more than $450,000 was spent on a controversial state anti-DUI campaign that many called sexist.

Previous story: Tenn. DUI campaign causes controversy amid allegations of sexism

The Tennessean reports Kendell Poole, director of the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, said Wednesday that by the time the state ended the campaign in July, $456,923 had been spent. Poole says the projected budget for the campaign was over $725,000.

Last month, the office took down its website following criticism that the campaign had taken a sexist approach to encouraging young men not to drive under the influence.

Poole says the office never meant to offend anyone and that the campaign was intentionally designed to reach the “young male demographic.”

Poole says the campaign was completely federally funded and was part of a $2 million annual advertising budget.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s