Afghan police say suicide car bomber attacks near US base, 17 civilians killed

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — An Afghan doctor says at least 17 civilians, many of them women and children, have been killed by a suicide car bombing near a U.S. base.

Dr. Hedayatullah Hamedi, the provincial health director of Afghanistan’s Khost province, said the bombing happened Sunday at a checkpoint in the city of Khost.

Hamedi added that out six civilians who are wounded, two are in critical condition.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. Youqib Khan, the deputy police chief in Khost province, said the attack happened near Camp Chapman, which still houses U.S. forces.

Pentagon officials referred comment to NATO authorities in Afghanistan. NATO previously said an “explosion” happened in Khost province, without elaborating.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s