KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Health inspectors are particular about food temperatures because ever year millions of people get sick from food poisoning.
Bacteria grows more rapidly between 41 and 135 degrees, doubling in number in as a little as 20 minutes. This range of temperature is often called the danger zone, so inspectors check and double-check to make sure the temperature of food served is out of the danger zone.
The Hill, Bar and Grill, 105 Forest Avenue – Grade: 82
The Hill received a passing health score, but several critical violations are noted. One of the violations is food temperatures.
When the inspector checked inside a reach-in cooler, she discovered potentially hazardous temperatures. Chicken, taco meat, a container of portobello mushrooms and nine eggs were all at 58 degrees, a temperature within the danger zone. The food was thrown away.
The storage of chemicals is also something that most don’t pay much attention to at home, but restaurant are required to pay attention to. When she checked, the inspector found a can of Raid Fogger stored alongside bleach. Also, pancake syrup was found stored with hand soap and other cleaners. A simple mistake could lead to a big surprise.
Finally, the inspector writes frozen chili and hot dogs were not being thawed properly. They had been left out at room temperature, but there are several proper ways to thaw frozen food to reduce the chance of bacteria growth. Frozen food can be thawed in a refrigerator, submerged it in cold recirculating water or put it in the microwave oven. The hill will be re-inspected soon.
Brenz Pizza, 1705 Cumberland Avenue – Grade: 81, Reinspected: 95
A few weeks ago, we reported there were food temperature and hygiene problems, among other violations at Brenz Pizza on Cumberland Avenue near the University of Tennessee. The inspector has returned for a followup and their new grade is a 95.
Previous story: Hygiene, other health violations found at Knoxville pizza parlor
Top Scores of the Week:
- Panera Bread, 105 North Peters Road – Grade: 100
- Apple Cake Tea Room, 11312 Station West Drive – Grade: 100
- McDonald’s, 19708 Hardin Valley Road – Grade: 100
- Hopes & Hollers, LLC, 937 Central Ave. – Grade: 100
- Petro’s, 1033 N. Cedar Boulevard – Grade: 100
- Starbucks, 327 North Cedar Bluff Road – Grade: 100
- Hurricane Grill & Wings, 319 Lovell Rd. – Grade: 99
- Snappy Tomato, 11507 Kingston Pike – Grade: 99
- China Lee, 8643 Middlebrook Pike – Grade: 99
- Little Bangkok, 603 North Campbell Station Road – Grade: 98
- Twiter’s Diner Washington Pike – Grade: 98
- Restaurant Linderhoff, 12740 Kingston Pike – Grade: 97
Web extra: This week’s inspection reports [PDF]