Firefighters battle kitchen fire in West Knoxville

North Bellemeade Avenue Fire (Courtesy: Knoxville Fire Department)

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Knoxville Firefighters battled a kitchen fire in West Knoxville Friday night.

According to the Knoxville Fire Department, the fire started just before midnight in the 200 block of North Bellemeade Avenue, just off of Kingston Pike.

Firefighters say they saw flames coming out of a window on the left side of the home.

We’re told the homeowner made it out safely, and he told firefighters that he fell asleep after heating oil on his stove to fry some french fries.

The fire was quickly extinguished, and the homeowner is being assisted with a temporary shelter.

Knoxville Firefighters say more than half of residential fires are a result of cooking, and want to remind everyone to never leave a hot stove unattended, or become preoccupied with other tasks, while cooking.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s