3 die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Morgan County home

Anthony Carroll, 44, Jamon Carroll, 8 and Jacob Carroll, 17

WARTBURG (WATE) – Three family members died from carbon monoxide poisoning late Saturday night.

Anthony Carroll, 44, his 17-year-old son Jacob Carroll and their 8-year-old relative Jamon Carroll died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a home on 103 Susak Lane.

“He was one of the most likeable people you’ll ever be around,” said neighbor Jeremy Shannon, about his friend Anthony. “Their 17-year-old liked to start his dirt bike every day in the neighborhood. The 8-year-old [was] pretty playful. He would come over and play with my boys a lot.”

According to the incident report, when Deputy Aaron Hutchinson entered the home, his eyes started burning and he smelled a strong odor.

Officials say the family had a gas generator inside their home. The sheriff believes it was an accident, but they are still trying to figure out why the generator was inside the house.

“The power had been turned off in the house and they were using a gas generator. Neighbors said it had been on the porch for a while. There was a lot of rain on Friday. They possibly moved it in to keep it dry. Not sure why it was moved inside, but it was moved inside the building and running,” explained Sheriff Glen Freytag.

“Here, the last three or four nights it’s been really cold,” Shannon said.

Dyllon Carroll, 19, was transported to the University of Tennessee Medical Center and is in the intensive care unit.

The mother, Penny Carroll, is also in the hospital. There is no word on her condition.

“It makes you value your family more than you can imagine,” Shannon said.

A few deputies were also treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. No injuries reported.

Family of the victims told WATE 6 On Your Side they have set up a bank account to pay for funeral costs. The account is under the Carroll Family at Citizens First Bank in Wartburg.

Deputies say the case is being investigated as an accident.

Slideshow: What is Carbon Monoxide?

CarbonMonoxide template

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s