KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Gov. Bill Haslam has elevated Tennessee to a Level II- State of Emergency as of 3:00 Saturday afternoon.
Level II means a major disaster has exceeded what local areas can handle and state and federal assistance will be required.
TEMA says the heaviest hit areas are in the Cumberland Plateau, where there are reports of major damage and power outages in Cumberland, Fentress, Overton, Putnam and White counties.
TEMA is using a Shelter Management Task Force and Debris Management Task Force to identify priority areas to dispatch personnel.
The Tennessee National Guard is using five crews to conduct wellness checks in White County.
Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency is handling wellness checks along I-40 on the Cumberland Plateau and in White County.
THP reports slow moving traffic in both directions of I-40 between mile markers 301 and 320.
Road issues are also reported at Hwy. 70 in White County, Hwy. 84 in Morgan County, U.S. 70 in Putnam County, from Cookeville to Monterey.
Twenty chainsaw crews with the Division of Forestry are working Cumberland, Morgan, Putnam and Scott Counties. to clear debris.
The American Red Cross is identifying areas to set up shelters and mass feeding missing.
Fatalities (Since Feb. 16, 2015)
Tennessee has 22, confirmed, weather-related fatalities:
- Benton County – One (1) fatality: 64-year-old female, motor vehicle accident
- Hamilton County – One (1) fatality: 63-year-old male, hypothermia related
- Haywood County – One (1) fatality: 40-year-old female, motor vehicle accident
- Henry County – Two (2) fatalities: 64-year-old female hypothermia related; 69-year-old male hypothermia related
- Hickman County One (1) fatality: 67-year-old male, dialysis patient, unable to get to treatment
- Knox County – Four (4) fatalities: 47-year-old male in fire; 30-year-old male in motor vehicle accident;75-year-old male in fire; 68-year-old female in fire
- Moore County – One (1) fatality: 73-year-old male, hypothermia
- Overton County – One (1) fatality: 38-year-old female, motor vehicle accident
- Roane County – One (1) fatality: 44-year-old male, hypothermia related
- Sequatchie – One (1) fatality: 85-year-old male, hypothermia related
- Sevier – Two (2) fatalities: Male (age unknown), weather related; 70-year-old female, weather related
- Shelby County – Three (3) fatalities: 48-year-old male hypothermia related; Male (age unknown); hypothermia related; (Demographics unknown) hypothermia related
- Sumner County – One (1) fatality: Male, 60s, weather related
- Williamson County – Two (2) fatalities: 34-year-old female in motor vehicle accident; 10-year-old male in motor vehicle accident.