Police arrest suspect wanted in shooting of TSU student

NASHVILLE (WATE) – Nashville Metropolitan Police have caught the final Woodland Hills escapee, who was charged in connection with Wednesday night’s shooting of an 18-year-old TSU student.

De’mario Fisher has been charged with especially aggravated robbery, aggravated assault and unlawful gun possession in the attack of an 18-year old TSU student Wednesday night.

Fisher, 18, has been a fugitive since he and more than 30 other teens escaped from Woodland Hills on Sept. 1. Police said he was armed with a loaded gun when he was apprehended.

Tennessee State University president Glenda Glover praised the collaborative efforts of the Metro and TSU police forces, and said the campus community can breath easier now that the suspect is in custody.

“Both police forces have made it a top priority to capture the suspect involved in this crime,” said Glover. “We are grateful for their efforts for restoring a sense of relief back to not only the campus community, but to the larger community as well.”

The arrest comes on the heels of an earlier press conference today at Corinthian Missionary Baptist Church where local clergy, politicians, as well as Dr. Glover and members of the administration and students gathered against crime in the community and against students at local universities and colleges. During the conference, Metro Police chief Steve Anderson identified Fisher as the primary suspect.

On Wednesday night, the gunshot victim and an 18-year-old friend were returning from the Wendy’s restaurant on 28th Avenue North. As they approached the intersection of John A. Merritt Boulevard and 31st Avenue North, the women noticed a dark colored four-door sedan parked on the street.

Moments later, a man with a pistol visible in his waistband got out of the passenger side, approached the victim and demanded her backpack. The victim refused and fought the gunman’s efforts to rob her. Ultimately the gunman put her in a headlock, threw her to the ground and shot her multiple times. Her friend received a minor injury. The gunman then fled back to the car, which was last seen traveling on John A. Merritt Boulevard.

Both students have been released from the hospital and are expected to make a full recovery.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s