KNOXVILLE (WATE) – A Knox County restaurant recently checked by health inspectors had trouble with bugs in the kitchen this week.
This restaurant passed its health inspection, but there were a number of critical violations that caught the inspectors attention, problems that could potentially make customers sick if not corrected.
Steak ‘n Shake, 500 Emory Road – Grade: 78
Below 70 is considered unsanitary by the health department.
First off, the inspector writes she found roaches in the kitchen. She suggested to the manager that he continue efforts to control and eliminate the roaches by contacting the restaurant’s pest control company.
Food temperatures were off. Chili was at 103 degrees, but 135 and above is required to kill the growth of bacteria.
On the other end of the temperature scale, sliced tomatoes were at 47 degrees, but 41 and below are required to keep food safe.
The inspector found that some utensils were not being properly washed, sanitized and rinsed. She also writes the fryer and ice cream unit were dirty.
Top Scores of the Week
- Road House, 1812 Maryville Pike – Grade: 100
- Baskin-Robbins, 11051 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Sweet Frog, 10901 Parkside Drive – Grade: 100
- Domino’s, 900 N. Broadway – Grade: 100
- Dunkin’ Donuts, 715 Campbell Station Road – Grade: 99
- Menchies, 234 Brookview Center Way – Grade: 98
- The Downtown Grind, 418 Gay Street – Grade: 98
- Bull Feathers Cafe, 10535 Kingston Pike – Grade: 96