6 On Your Side Answers: What types of water damage are covered by home insurance policies?

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – With more severe weather on the way, a lot of 6 News viewers are asking questions about damage caused by water and wind.

Tammy from Oneida asks: “There is a lot of confusion about what type of water damage is covered under a home insurance policy. So, what is covered?”

Damage from storms hitting East Tennessee the last few days and especially over the last couple of years has left a lot of people wondering if their homeowners policies are going to cover the repairs.

Let’s start with water damage. It pretty much boils down to whether the water damage was caused by a covered peril such as a storm.

Homeowners policies do not cover damage by a flood because the numbers don’t add up. The number of people who are willing to pay for the added coverage will not pay enough in premiums to cover the claims.

Insurance companies aren’t in business to lose money.

On the other hand, most homeowners insurance policies include hail, tornado and wind damage.

For example, your homeowners coverage would generally pay for damage from rain coming through a hole in the roof or a broken window, if the hole was caused by strong storm winds.

Since there are many different types of insurance policies, the levels of coverage, including exclusions and limits of liability, will vary greatly. Some provide basic coverage while other policies offer broad coverage with high levels of protection.

Finally, what does a homeowners policy cover?

It covers the repair or replacement of your home and its contents up to defined limits. You need to check your policy to know what those limits are.

blog comments powered by Disqus